Re: [platform-ui-dev] PDE: NoClassDefFoundError

In fact, this question has been asked and answered
at least 100 hundred times already at the eclipse.platform
newsgroup. By far, the most favorite FAQ.

Chris

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Boris Prüßmann        |
|         |           <boris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>|
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           platform-ui-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           10/14/2003 03:09 AM   |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           platform-ui-dev       |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                 |
  |       cc:       Timo Nentwig <eclipse@xxxxxxxxx>                                                                                            |
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-ui-dev] PDE: NoClassDefFoundError                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

Hi Timo!

You're right, this isn't the right place to ask this kind of question.
The mailinglists
are intended mainly for those who develop Eclipse and questions like
this are better
asked in one of the newsgroups. They're followed by far more people and
questions like
this will thus be answered much faster.

Anyway, it looks like your plugin.xml is missing the reference to the
org.eclipse.swt
plugin. To fix this, open the plugin.xml with the 'Plug-in Manifest
Editor' and switch
to the dependecies tab. Add 'org.eclipse.swt' to the list of required
plugins. This'll
fix that problem but I guess there will be more missing requirements.

The plugin.xml lists the runtime requirements of your plugin (and
several other things)
while the classpath only lists the compile-time requirements. In
general, it's a much
better idea to make changes to the plugin.xml, then using "Update
Classpath" (on
plugin.xml's context menu) to update the classpath accordingly.

Cheers,
Boris

On Montag, Oktober 13, 2003, at 06:32  Uhr, Timo Nentwig wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm not quite sure whether this is the right place to post but there
> aren't
> any other :-)
>
> So, I tried to write a plugin for the first time, switched to the PDE
> perspective and create a sample view plugin using the wizard.
> Unfortunately I
> cannot run it as run-time workbench. This is quite strange since the
> required
> JAR is in class path and also the editor does not complain about
> anything.
>
> So what's going wrong here? I did nothing, everything was done by the
> wizard,
> I just clicked next...
>

> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/widgets/Dialog
>         at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
>         at
> java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1610)
>         at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:1922)
>         at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:278)
>         at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)
>         at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.createExecutableExte
> nsion(PluginDescriptor.java:138)
>         at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.createExecutableExte
> nsion(PluginDescriptor.java:167)
>         at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.ConfigurationElement.createExecutable
> Extension(ConfigurationElement.java:103)
>         at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.loaderGetRunnable(In
> ternalPlatform.java:584)
>         at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.checkVersionPrompt(I
> nternalPlatform.java:508)
>         at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.loaderCheckVersion(I
> nternalPlatform.java:484)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.ja
> va:39)
>         at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccesso
> rImpl.java:25)
>         at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.checkVersion(Internal
> BootLoader.java:873)
>         at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoade
> r.java:842)
>         at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.ja
> va:39)
>         at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccesso
> rImpl.java:25)
> [...]

"Engineering does not require science. Science helps a lot but
people built perfectly good brick walls long before they knew why
cement works." - Alan Cox

PGP Fingerprint: 75C7 3A45 8B0D A381 FDA5    A7A9 C048 2701 9330 EBBA