RE: RE: [platform-swt-dev] org.eclipse.swt.SWT

> From: vellapillli_h.indukumar@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> what are the minuses of SWT in the eyes of a business user? i know of one
> or two minuses of swing in the eyes of a business user (one is look and
> feel, the other is of course performance).

1. The requirement of the additional platform-specific module.

1a. SWT is not 100% Pure Java, so can only go where a native implementation
is available.

1b. Swing requires an additional deployment step.

2. With the push toward "Open", SWT is perceived as less open than Swing
(because of the native implementation layer).  This is ironic, since in
reality SWT is now more open than Swing.

3. SWT is newer, less mature and less documented.  The snippets base in
conjunction with the Javadoc is adequate but not great (see my thread on the
label update issue).

Back to the top