Re: [platform-debug-dev] context-sensitive launching

> I want to take advantage of context-sensitive launching in our
> product, but don't want to provide a launch shortcut. Looking at the
> platform code, it seems that's not possible. No doubt I'm overlooking
> something, but I don't see why the context sensitive launch logic
> absolutely requires a shortcut. Launch configurations can have an
> association with an IResource, and the ones created by our product do
> (they are associated with projects). Seems to me, given the currently
> selected IResource, the platform should be able to find the (first)
> launch configuration associated with it--without any involvement of
> a shortcut.
>
> I imagine a context sensitive launch incorporating this logic:
>
> for (each launch configuration)
> {
>   - is this launch configuration associated with the selected IResource
>     - if yes, launch it
>     - if no, is this launch configuration associated with the project
> the IResource belongs to
>        - if yes, launch it
> }
>
> I suppose there is something I'm not considering.

In the case that a launch configuration does not exist, the platform
requires a shortcut in order to create/populate a configuration with the
correct attributes/values for a given resource.

> If a shortcut truly
> is necessary, I don't mind contributing a shortcut, but I don't want
> it accessible to the user. That is, I should be able to contribute
> the shortcut for the sake of the meta information that the
> context-sensitive launch apparently needs, but I don't want it
> appearing as an action the user can invoke. That, too, doesn't seem
> possible today.

Correct - there is currently no way to hide a shortcut from the user
(except for disabling it, which would also hide it from the platform).

I agree with your observation, however. If a resource mapping exists for a
configuration, the platform should be able to launch without a shortcut.
Please enter a bug for this.

Darin

Back to the top