Re: [platform-debug-dev] extending VariablesView?

Darin,

This is great. I have implemented a new MemoryView which now almost does what I want. To get it to do exactly what I want, I have 2 questions:

1. Can I programmatically add a monitor to the list of monitors? Can I make it 'permanent' (so the user can't remove it)? 2. Can I have a 2nd instance of a MemoryView. I'd like to use all the infrastructure etc, but have it in my own window.

The API looks good. What is expected to change between now and when it becomes official? Is there a bug I can attach to, to monitor?

Thanks,

---
Derek

Darin Wright wrote:

 > Darin,
 >
 > Thanks for your quick reply.
 >
 > Am am writing the plugin for an embedded system. This system has some
 > hardware registers (for peripherals) in the processors memory map. These
 > can be viewed using a Memory view, but this is very clunky.
 >
 > Typically, each peripheral will have a small number of memory-mapped
 > registers (<16), they may not be contiguous in the memory map, they may
 > be 8-, 16- or 32-bits wide and very often they consist of separate
> bit-fields. Therefore, each peripheral, in effect, needs it own custom view.
 >
 > None of the current views even comes close...

In 3.2, we added experimental support for 'flexible content'. Basically, a model can present and drive the update of any hierarchy of elements in a debug view. However, the presentation (controls - tree/table) remains as is. We hope to make the 3.2 support public API in 3.3. There was a tutorial covering this material at EclipseCon 2006 - you can review the presentation here: http://eclipsezilla.eclipsecon.org/php/attachment.php?bugid=58.

Hopefully you are familiar with the DSDP project which is aimed at embedded developers - http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/

Darin