Re: [platform-debug-dev] extending VariablesView?

> Darin,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> Am am writing the plugin for an embedded system. This system has some
> hardware registers (for peripherals) in the processors memory map. These
> can be viewed using a Memory view, but this is very clunky.
>
> Typically, each peripheral will have a small number of memory-mapped
> registers (<16), they may not be contiguous in the memory map, they may
> be 8-, 16- or 32-bits wide and very often they consist of separate
> bit-fields. Therefore, each peripheral, in effect, needs it own custom view.
>
> None of the current views even comes close...

In 3.2, we added experimental support for 'flexible content'. Basically, a model can present and drive the update of any hierarchy of elements in a debug view. However, the presentation (controls - tree/table) remains as is. We hope to make the 3.2 support public API in 3.3. There was a tutorial covering this material at EclipseCon 2006 - you can review the presentation here: http://eclipsezilla.eclipsecon.org/php/attachment.php?bugid=58.

Hopefully you are familiar with the DSDP project which is aimed at embedded developers - http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/

Darin

Back to the top