[photran] Photran indexer hanging, OutOfMemory, &c.

Hi,

I have a 50k line chunk of Fortran code I've recently migrated from
fixed format to combined free/fixed format (continuation chars in col 6
& 73, comment chars converted to '!') I've been trying to run the
'IMPLICIT NONE' refactoring on it on various Eclipse/Photran versions
and platforms and I keep running out of memory or hanging Eclipse.

Per the FAQ, I've added " -vmargs -Xmx512M" but to no avail. I've pushed
the heap size up to 768MB on the XP box with 1GB RAM, and up to 1024MB
on the 8-core Vista box with 16GB of RAM. In all cases, the indexer
either craps out gracefully with an error dialog telling me I'm out of
memory, or just hangs Eclipse completely. I have yet to bump up the heap
size to 512MB on the Linux box.

I've tried this with Eclipse 3.4.2/Photran 4.0 (Linux & XP, 32-bit) and
today with Eclipse 3.5/Photran 5.0 (Vista, 64-bit) and I get roughly the
same behavior on all platforms & versions.

The code uses INCLUDE to share common blocks and I'm wondering if that
has any impact. The code itself isn't too large (54 kloc total, 38 kloc
minus comments) or too hinky (maybe one EQUIVALENCE statement, and no
creative memory management via common block) so I'm at a loss for why
the indexer keeps bloating and toppling over. Do I need different
magical Java memory management switches to make it go? You'd think 16GB
would be enough for anything; who knows how much of that is wasted or
idled because of Vista.

I'm making the assumption that the refactoring tools are functional and
I'm looking forward to getting rid of IMPLICIT NONE in this code. I've
done it before manually and I really don't want to go through that
again. Gruesome.

Any thoughts on what I should try next?

-- Bob

Back to the top