Re: [photran] Photran indexer hanging, OutOfMemory, &c.

Hi Bob,

I have a 50k line chunk of Fortran code I've recently migrated from
Per the FAQ, I've added " -vmargs -Xmx512M" but to no avail. I've pushed
the heap size up to 768MB on the XP box with 1GB RAM, and up to 1024MB
on the 8-core Vista box with 16GB of RAM. In all cases, the indexer
The code uses INCLUDE to share common blocks and I'm wondering if that
has any impact. The code itself isn't too large (54 kloc total, 38 kloc

Is the 50KLOC all in one file, or spread among several files? If you inserted the contents of all the INCLUDE files, about how big would it be?

For the most part, the indexer and refactorings work with one file at a time, so if they're hitting a memory limit, it would be due to a single large file.

If you keep pushing up the heap size -- perhaps try -vmargs -Xmx2048M or even more if you're on a 64-bit platform -- does it eventually work?

Also, do you have several other Eclipse plug-ins running? (The memory is shared among the Eclipse Platform and all of the plug-ins...) If you click Window > Preferences, go to the General category, and click "Show heap status," you can monitor the memory usage in the lower right-hand corner (in the status bar). I'm curious where those numbers are.

We have a situation similar to this in the test suite, so it's interesting you're running into this problem. If your code is something you could share with us (under an NDA or whatever), we could add it to Photran's test suite as well -- please contact me individually if that's a possibility.

Jeff

Back to the top