Re: [photran] sharing projects

Thanks Jeff,

Not the best of news, but good to know all the same.

I've already grabbed the .launch files (just to note, you can make them easier to find by choosing to make them "Shared file"'s in the "Common" tab of the Run window).

I've also got the .cdtproject and .project files for my project.

I was afraid I'd have to go on an excursion into .metadata/.plugins directory.

Going through all these hoops is really hard on people who are used to Visual Studio.

I know the flexibility of Eclipse can be a real benefit, but this can't be the first time someone has come across the need to ensure a common interface when several people are working on project.  There must be a way to provide this "lock down".  Surely I can export a defined perspective at least?

Sean.

On 4/24/06, Jeffrey Overbey <subscribe-photran@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I hope I am understanding you correctly.

> What do I need to add to the repository so that we can all have the same
> workspace.  (We just added a new member and he had to import the
> workspace, define variables used to run external program, still doesn't
> have access to the run and debug menus, had to set the editor policies
> to make it easy to work with our files, etc. ...)

For better or worse, you can't "share" a workspace: A workspace
corresponds to a single user on a single machine.

With Java projects, you can share launch configurations by copying the
relevant *.launch files from somewhere in your workspace's .metadata
directory into some shared project, making them accessible to the other
users.  I think this works with Photran/CDT launches as well, but I've
never tried it.

In fact, all of the workspace settings are buried somewhere in the
.metadata folder.  If that helps...

> later this week, it would be good to check out the code to another
> directory, tell Photran to use that as my workspace, and get on with
> things.

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but you can use the -data
switch to tell Eclipse/Photran where your workspace is.  If the
specified folder does not exist, it will be created.  For example:

./eclipse -data /home/joverbey/photran32-workspace -vmargs -Xmx512M

Jeff