Re: [phoenix-dev] New website design: a call for participation

Title: New Page 1
There's a nice chicken-and-egg situation here. Of course we have a diverse audience (even Firefox has a diverse audience ranging from users like my parents to developers and hackers). However, there is a causality link between the website and the audience, thus if we define the website by what the current audience likes, then we will never grow beyond our current audience.

I see no risk in asking for two different designs: a "tweak the current" design and a "envision a great new future" design.
I think that the biggest challenge we face is catering to all of these
different user types at the same time.  They can't all be equal and the time
has come where we need to decide which of these users are the most
important.  At that point we can then design a page that satisfies those
requirements.

In fact, I think that is the way to solid mediocrity: a solution that satisfies everyone is sure to be dull (look at the Microsoft websites). Maybe we need to have a home page that directs readers to different "landing" pages and each of those pages has a common yet distinct look?  User downloads, Additional plugins, Members, Committers/Contributors, ... ?

- Bjorn
--
[end of message]

Back to the top