Re: [phoenix-dev] Portal Source Code

Bjorn Freeman-Benson schrieb:
This is the official "Mike" decision on the issue, so you'll have to take it up with him.
While I agree our corporate data is not something that can be public, I'm not sure why we need to hide the schema?

I'm at the EFE Europe right now and talked to Mike about that subject. I kind had the feeling that the internal schema is what is holding you back from publishing the code.

However, I also do think that there is just little risk in exposing the schema except if there are some thing in the schema that we don't know about and probably should never know about. But I doubt that this is the case.

On the other hand, publishing the code including references to the schema would allow others to review the code. Potential security problems might be unveiled earlier or even better, things would we brought up which you guys never thought about. Note, I do think that you put *a lot* effort behind security already.

Anyway, I'm not pushing for making it public right away. I do understand the security concerns. But I hope to see a path to eventually make the code public at one time. At the end, I'm just somebody that believes in total openness and transparency. It would also help people to understand the complexity of the infrastructure behind Eclipse.org.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx