Re: [phoenix-dev] Sandbox

Thanks for your feedback. As you concluded, everyone even remotely interested in Phoenix has suggested a different CMS. The consultant we hired suggested PHPNuke based on our long list of requirements.

As for performance, I doubt PHPNuke's architecture is any different. JBoss didn't really detail what their hardware infrastructure was like when they tested PostNuke. If they only had one server for their website, with the application and the database running on the same box, I can understand why it would crawl. At eclipse we have three (and soon four) front-end nodes to handle apache/php (and cvs, rsync, e-mail, etc) requests, and backend database servers to handle the DB requests, making our infrastructure highly scalable as opposed to a single box webserver/db server.

Should we see that the database is taking too many hits, we could then add front-line Squid servers for caching -- at that point, requests for unchanged database-driven pages wouldn't even get to Apache -- adding exponential scalability. See WikiPedia's setup for more info on how this can be done: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers

I do agree that touching the database for each page is a bit tedious, but when database servers have 16GB of RAM, the entire database and index table can be held in memory, and because eclipse.org is more than just HTTP, time spent "waiting" for the DB server to return a result allows the same server to handle CVS, SSH, RSYNC or e-mail requests.

In contrast, holding information in session variables, as employed by Java and PHP, can make things really messy when running clusters -- setup is more complex and the infrastucture as a whole becomes more difficult to manage. We haven't had much luck running Tomcat with shared sessions, and we didn't even want to try this with PHP. Sure, there are other J2EE app servers out there, but, if I can quote some fellow, "complexity is the enemy of reliability" -- and it doesn't get any simpler than LAMP.

We have put our PHPNuke codebase in the repository - /home/technology/org.eclipse.phoenix/phpnuke. It's under heavy development, but feel free to have a look at it and comment.

D.

Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
Hi!

On Mo, 11.07.2005, 15:27, Denis Roy sagte:

Also, we've chosen PHPNuke instead of Xoops. I'll be tossing our
codebase in the Phoenix CVS repository this week as well so you can have
a look at it.

Mhm, in 2003 JBoss tried PostNuke for their website. Everything was fine
during development but it turned out that PostNuke wasn't that scalable.

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/06/04/nukes.html

However, that was 2003 and PHPNuke is somewhat different in the code base
and hopefully in the architecture.

JBoss created their own system. They called it Nukes. Now it's name is
JBoss Portal and they release 2.0 last month.

Here is a linke to the current brochure:
http://www.jboss.org/pdf/JBossPortalBrochure-Jun2005.pdf

I'm going to install a test system on my local site to give it a try. I'm
also evaluating some other Java based systems and I'm going to play with
the PHPNuke sandbox.

Today I installed and tried InfoGlue. It's quite good but I have to build
a test site. There is a nice video tutorial available, which gives a good
introduction (http://www.infoglue.org/downloads/IGTutorialPart1.zip). You
will need the codec located on http://www.3ivx.com.

But usually, if you hire 4 consultants you'll get 8 recommendations ;)

Cu, Gunnar

--
Denis Roy
Manager, IT Infrastructure