[ormf-dev] Re: Testing in ORMF Eclipse Project

Achim:

I am a general Business Analyst, with some testing experience, but not
on a formal basis. I am a quick learner and enjoy the challenge of
learning.

Three things you should be aware of:

1. I have been using Linux (ubuntu 8.04) since mid-May 2008, so I'm
still going through the learning curve. There is no possibility of
returning to Windows - cost being the biggest issue. The downside is
that setup instructions will have to be specific, and may take a while
to implement. The upside is that I'm paranoid about losing stuff, so
backups are extremely regular. This means that I have no problem setting
up a clean environment on a server or on my workstation. I've had lots
of practice setting up my workstation, and have it down to about a 5
hour process to get the configuration the way that I would like it for
production. In addition, I do have a separate server that can be
re-configured for internal use. It will not be visible on the internet,
but will work like a corporate intranet.

2. I have no formal training in testing or test methodology. I am very
experienced in requirements engineering and so understand many concepts
around testing. I have designed and managed UA testing on a couple of
major projects (no one else wanted to and I enjoyed it). The downside is
that initially someone with more experience than me will need to design
the tests and give me instruction on how to execute it. As I learn, I
will want to more actively participate in the test planning as well as
the execution. The upside is that I would like to learn and have some
experience in testing.

3. I have had no exposure to useme. I guess this will be one way to get
exposure to useme and the other tools that we are using.

Given this, if I can make a useful contribution to the testing front,
then I'm more than happy to do so. In order to manage time expectations,
I can probably provide about 2 hours in the evening (Eastern Time -
North America), 3 days a week. If that would be of some help, then
please let me know.

By inclination, I do like to tinker and get my hands really dirty. The
happy result, in the past, is that if there is a hole in a project, then
I can either fill it immediately or learn enough to be able to fill it
quickly. At various times I have been a Requirements Engineer, Database
Designer and Developer(SQL Server and Oracle), Programmer (long time
ago!), UAT Designer and Manager, and Technical Writer. I enjoy them all,
and like to get into the details regardless of what role I'm in.

I am having some issues getting the update part of Ganymede setup. I had
Eclipse working reasonably well, but they have made some serious changes
to the update part of Ganymede - and in the process created a new set of
challenges for new users (like me).

Regards,
Flavelle

Back to the top