Re: [orion-dev] Irc?

Just to be clear, Max: The Orion project is not currently using Slack and there is no official Orion project slack instance you can join to evaluate activity levels. It has been floated as a possibility that is being considered, but it is not the current reality. Many of our committers are using Slack already for commercial products, are finding it useful, and are interested in exploring whether it could be used effectively in an open source project. But as McQ said the current instant chat mechanism is #eclipse-orion on Freenode, which is not being heavily used but it is available as a channel to talk to committers.

John

From:        "Max Rydahl Andersen" <manderse@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Orion developer discussions" <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc:        orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        04/23/2015 10:47 AM
Subject:        Re: [orion-dev] Irc?
Sent by:        orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm now in slack - can't join anything and i'm now forced to use yet
another browser tab,
with different history, different notifications, different mechanics
from everything else.

I personally don't like using anything else but IRC since it is so
omnipresent/omniavailable.

...but ignoring that - where in Slack do I go to see if slack is more
active than irc ?

/max

https://make.wordpress.org/chat/

> Why couldn't we at least try it? If it fails, nothing is lost?  If we
> see
> more dialogue, then we win? Is it not that simple?
>
> I don't know whether or not Slack would be a useful open source tool,
> but
> in my opinion if it aids communication, then of course it would be a
> useful
> tool.
>
> Anton
>

> From:       Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> To:         orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Date:       2015/04/23 09:35 AM
>
> Subject:    Re: [orion-dev] Irc?
>

> On 23/04/2015 9:25 AM, Steve Northover wrote:
>    Slack is being used successfully by small teams for distributed
>    development.  Many comitters for Orion are there.  It makes sense
>    connect with people there (if possible).
>
> That may be true within a single company. But if the conversations
> that
> happen there are not open to all interested parties, and transparent
> everyone then it is not a useful open source tool.
>
> --
> Mike Milinkovich
> mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx
> +1.613.220.3223 (mobile)