Re: [orion-dev] beginner questions about plugins

> A plugin is just an HTML page hosted somewhere embedded as an iframe,
> right? So I better make sure that wherever I host it is fine with the
> bandwidth because every user will request that page when they log in
> to Orion. There's nothing similar to OSGi metadata, license files and
> what not. If I have a new version of the plugin I just put up an
> updated html file.

That's all correct. One option is to run your plug-in directly on orionhub.org by launching a Site containing your plug-in. There are some instructions here (you can skip the steps about cloning repositories and getting dojo in your case).

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/How_Tos/Setup_Orion_Client_Hosted_Site_on_OrionHub

You can also host a plug-in on a site such as GitHub. Here is an example of a plug-in hosted on GitHub.

https://github.com/bokowski/bokowski.github.com

> Apart from my version of htmlSyntaxHighlight.js and an HTML page that
> embeds it what do I need? I guess I need the ../js/plugin.js hosted on
> my server? Is the idea that I just copy and paste the file from the
> Orion sources? Do I have to update this with every Orion release? Do I
> need /openajax/release/all/OpenAjaxManagedHub-all.js as well?

Yes, you will need to copy plugin.js to the server hosting the plug-in. We are hoping this won't need updating regularly, but since we are so early in defining our API it is possible. You also currently need OpenAjaxManagedHub-all.js (we're hoping to eventually get rid of this dependency).

> Is there something like Eclipse Marketplace from Orion plugins?
> Should/can I host it on the Eclipse Marketplace?

If Marketplace allows you to host HTML, then you can host your plug-in there. I don't know off-hand whether this is true or not. Eventually as Orion matures I expect we will want a Marketplace integration story.

John

Back to the top