Re: [orion-dev] Google Summer of Code 2011 participant - Piotr Janik

Welcome Piotr!

Your proposal looks good. While we have some minimal Git functionality in place right now, there are certainly lots of missing little pieces, so your contribution will be greatly appreciated. I just wanted to quickly point you at our wiki for some background wiki, and especially the development principles section:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Development_principles

It will help you understand the philosophy underlying the current design and architecture. One other bit of advice for Git work in particular: as with Eclipse desktop, we want to enable Orion to be used with a variety of different SCMs. Git is our first example because that is the SCM we happen to be using at eclipse.org. This means we should avoid tying Git functionality too closely with other general functionality. This is one reason you see most of the Git support is on separate pages from the editing and navigation pages (this also relates to the "Task focused" development principle. We should also always keep in mind what parts of the SCM functionality might later be generalized to be used by other SCMs. Where possible we should keep "generic SCM" functionality separate from "Git specific" functionality.

Anyway, welcome to Orion, and feel free to use this list for any general Orion questions you might have. You can also catch some of us on IRC (see link from the Orion wiki).

John

Piotr Janik <janikpiotrek@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/04/2011 09:13 AM

Please respond to
Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[orion-dev] Google Summer of Code 2011 participant - Piotr Janik

Hi,
I participate in the Google Summer of Code program. I will work at enhancing Git support. More details are described here: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/piotreek/1
In case of any questions, ideas and problems related to my work, please contact me using this email address.
I hope that our cooperation will be beneficial. ;)

--
Best Regards,
Piotr Janik