Re: [orion-dev] eclipse.GitService is not a constructor

On 3/11/2011 8:43 AM, Susan Franklin McCourt wrote:

John, sorry for the frustration.

No problem, I'm just trying to report back.

For now, please take the latest I-build toward M6 and use that as your target.

I updated the wiki page Getting_the_source. Then read your note more carefully ;-).

Clear localstorage as well, because we've had recent changes to cached plug-in data.
This should work.

Two suggestions here. First please consider describing this as "Issue localStorage.clear() in the firebug console, because otherwise its quite a mystery. Second, we need a better solution to this kind of issue.

As Andrew mentioned, the git server code is dependent on jgit, and the dependencies update rather frequently to pick up features and function from jgit. What this means to you is that the server must be updated more frequently than in the past. During M5, I was able to run M4 as my target for nearly the entire milestone. During M6 development, I've found myself taking new target platforms much more frequently.

We need a better solution for server update. Now I realize that orion developers are probably not updating from the distributions. If you use the source then you probably set the eclipse.ini values once in the launch config. Confusing but one off and the thing you need to edit to change the config is close by, on the drop down from the Run button. But if you use the normal instructions you have to find and edit the eclipse.ini each time you update.

Furthermore, each time you have to re-establish the client/server name binding links and you have to update any bookmarks or url links you used because the name binding link is not stable.

I think these little things are critical to keep early adopters on board.
jjb

Back to the top