Re: [orbit-dev] Lucene 5.2.1 into orbit-recipes (EBR)

> > Looking in the Mars.1 repo, of the 863 bundles, 128 seem to be using the
> > uses constraints in the Export-Package statement. The Export-Package
> > statement guidelines for Orbit contributions don't really say anything
> > either so I guess it's up to the individual committers/adopters to mention
> > whether they want it.
>
> Not having uses directives is asking for trouble, as some Lucene bundles
> use classes from other Lucene bundles in their external API.
>
> > For bundles like Lucene that will be dependencies of the platform, I think
> > it's best to have all projects standardize on the same version and avoid
> > these
> > issues altogether.
>
> I can almost guarantee you that there will be other bundles providing
> org.apache.lucene.* packages in the wild (our companny builds its own
> non-Orbit Lucene 4.9, for example). IMHO, uses directives are absolutely
> necessary to allow Equinox to wire the Lucene bundles consistently.

I guess for diagnosing issues that might come up and ensuring things get
wired correctly we can add it in.

@Marcel, is there any reason that past Lucene bundles didn't really do this ?
Looking back, I think I saw maybe one uses-clause in one lucene bundle, so
maybe it was just done on an as-needed basis.

If you're fine with the change I can push it in as we have some time until M3.

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top