Re: [orbit-dev] Lucene 5.2.1 into orbit-recipes (EBR)

Hi Roland,

> Looking in the Mars.1 repo, of the 863 bundles, 128 seem to be using the
> uses constraints in the Export-Package statement. The Export-Package
> statement guidelines for Orbit contributions don't really say anything
> either so I guess it's up to the individual committers/adopters to mention
> whether they want it.

Not having uses directives is asking for trouble, as some Lucene bundles
use classes from other Lucene bundles in their external API.

> For bundles like Lucene that will be dependencies of the platform, I think
> it's best to have all projects standardize on the same version and avoid these
> issues altogether.

I can almost guarantee you that there will be other bundles providing
org.apache.lucene.* packages in the wild (our companny builds its own
non-Orbit Lucene 4.9, for example). IMHO, uses directives are absolutely
necessary to allow Equinox to wire the Lucene bundles consistently.

That being said, thanks for the effort of bringing Lucene 5.2.1 to
Orbit. Much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Andreas

--