Re: [orbit-dev] Lucene 5.2.1 into orbit-recipes (EBR)

> cool. We may switch to Lucene 5.x ourselves then.

Great :) 3.5.0 to 5.2.1 will definitely have breaking changes so we've done
this as early as we could to give maintainers a chance to adopt it.

> > 1) I noticed that by default Import-Package statements are generated with
> > 'uses' clauses. I would think most committers expect
> > '<_nouses>true</_nouses>' by default but If not it's easy enough to
> > override the config options in submodules. Thoughts ?
>
> Why no uses directives? AFAIK they are they only way (besides using
> Require-Bundle throughout) to reliably prevent the OSGi runtime from
> wiring bundles in a way that causes exceptions/error due to class
>
> Can you please elaborate why "most committers expect
> <_nouses>true</_nouses>"? Thank you.

Looking in the Mars.1 repo, of the 863 bundles, 128 seem to be using the
uses constraints in the Export-Package statement. The Export-Package
statement guidelines for Orbit contributions don't really say anything
either so I guess it's up to the individual committers/adopters to mention
whether they want it.

For bundles like Lucene that will be dependencies of the platform, I think
it's best to have all projects standardize on the same version and avoid these
issues altogether.

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg