Re: [mosquitto-dev] Version 1.6 released

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your understanding.

Actually my company uses Mosquitto now, but my contributes are fully
as an individual. I'm just anxious my company might select another new
broker under the current Mosquitto support policy. I'd be grateful if
my company keeps to use Mosquitto which includes my several
contributes.

Regarding 1.5 branch, it will be solved by creating a new branch like
"v1.5-fixes" and copying v1.5.8 to it.

Cheers,
Tatsuzo

2019年4月28日(日) 5:07 Greg Troxel <gdt@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Tatsuzo Osawa <tatsuzo.osawa@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > 1) I've agreed with Mosquitto is just an open source project which has
> > no guarantee. I said it on this mail loop. So this policy can be kept
> > under the best effort.
>
> Sure, but it's dangerous to declare a best-effort support policy,
> because then people complain when it isn't followed.
>
> > 2) I believe the workload which I recommended is almost as same as the
> > existing. We can minimize it by providing only source files (no
> > packaging) and restricting the support only security patches and the
> > critical (crash etc.) issues for the previous version. I can
> > contribute if necessary.
>
> I agree it's not that bad.
>
> > 3) Regarding develop and main branches, I know many open sources
> > provide separated release policy, e.g. the even number of minor
> > versions are stable releases and the odd are develop releases. But It
> > is just a naming issue, so I recommended the way which does not change
> > the existing.
>
> Agreed that changing naming is not really helpful.  My only problem is
> that there is no release-1.5 branch now, so it's non-obvious how to take
> the last 1.5.x release and add a patch.
>
> > 4) Regarding the frequency of new main releases, the reason I'd like
> > to keep the period of support for each release. Providing new main
> > releases at most once a year makes the support period at least two
> > years. Actually, it took three years from v1.4 to v1.5, and almost one
> > year from v1.5 to v1.6. Therefore, I believe this policy is
> > reasonable.
>
> There's reasonable, and there's adjusted to match your needs vs adjusted
> to match other people's needs.
>
> I am curious: are you using mosquitto as a hobbyist, or in a company
> context?  Can you explain how wanting multiple years of support for a
> stable branch fits with either your hobbyist or corporate use?

Back to the top