Re: [mosquitto-dev] Version 1.6 released

Tatsuzo Osawa <tatsuzo.osawa@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1) I've agreed with Mosquitto is just an open source project which has
> no guarantee. I said it on this mail loop. So this policy can be kept
> under the best effort.

Sure, but it's dangerous to declare a best-effort support policy,
because then people complain when it isn't followed.

> 2) I believe the workload which I recommended is almost as same as the
> existing. We can minimize it by providing only source files (no
> packaging) and restricting the support only security patches and the
> critical (crash etc.) issues for the previous version. I can
> contribute if necessary.

I agree it's not that bad.

> 3) Regarding develop and main branches, I know many open sources
> provide separated release policy, e.g. the even number of minor
> versions are stable releases and the odd are develop releases. But It
> is just a naming issue, so I recommended the way which does not change
> the existing.

Agreed that changing naming is not really helpful.  My only problem is
that there is no release-1.5 branch now, so it's non-obvious how to take
the last 1.5.x release and add a patch.

> 4) Regarding the frequency of new main releases, the reason I'd like
> to keep the period of support for each release. Providing new main
> releases at most once a year makes the support period at least two
> years. Actually, it took three years from v1.4 to v1.5, and almost one
> year from v1.5 to v1.6. Therefore, I believe this policy is
> reasonable.

There's reasonable, and there's adjusted to match your needs vs adjusted
to match other people's needs.

I am curious: are you using mosquitto as a hobbyist, or in a company
context?  Can you explain how wanting multiple years of support for a
stable branch fits with either your hobbyist or corporate use?

Back to the top