Re: [mosquitto-dev] Version 1.6 released

Roger,

I've sent a separated email to you, but it might have not be
delivered, so I'd like to talk with you here.

I propose the following support policy.
- Provide critical bug fixes and security patches for the one previous
version of the main release.
- Minor feature updates are provided only on the develop branch, and
the main branch provides only bug fixes and security patches.
- The feature updated main release will be provided at most once a
year. It is great if it can be provided almost at the same time of
each year.

That is, compared to the current situation, added following.
- Provide critical bug fixes and security patches on v1.5 for at least
one more year.
- Provide every feature updates on develop branch. (in order to faster
stabilization on main branch)

I've looked at some open source support policies, and found this
policy I recommended seems almost standard. Regarding OpenSSL, it has
very conservative policy that every main releases are supported in two
years, and in addition some LTS (Long term support) releases are
supported in five years.

As for Mosquitto, although v1.6 seems stable at the beginning, v1.5
had required several months to become stable. In addition, there were
some interoperability issues on v1.5, because v1.5 offered a feature
update about strict protocol checking. (I agree with the rightfulness
of this update, but I'd like to point out the influence of the feature
updates for the ecosystem.) Therefore I recommend this policy.

I believe it is almost as same as your proposed policy you can provide
by yourself. Of course, don't hesitate to ask my help.

Cheers,
Tatsuzo