Re: [m2e-dev] Release Planning

You wrote:

> However, I'm not sure the Eclipse Development Process easily allows that as we need to manually add releases to the PMI.

So that actually *IS* the "1 team obeying to the same boss" but that boss is not actually paing me at all nor I get any revenue from this ..

And if people are mad about "endless releases" we just need a process we can negotiate on, we don't need any planing but some kind of negotiation.

> Why?

You said we should release more often, so once a week is more than once a month or once a quarter :-)

> What would that change to your development?
> Will you be able to deliver more value faster with this?

1) We simply do not need to mind to get something in until date x, but will deliver a constant stream of improvements and value.

2) If I know that my change will only be delayed by one week I won't mind to polish it a bit more.

3) If I have a bug/regression/feature/... I'm more convinced to provide a PR if I see I can have it official released in a short time and I can use it (e.g. ask my IT to upgrade to release X instead of asking to be allowed to use an unclear moving target snapshot version)

4) It is less risky to upgrade from a version with a small set of changes (including a crucial fix for my usecase)

5) It is less risky if we 'break' something as there is a high chance to get it fixed soon, if there was a bad change people can go back to the previous version for some days until it is fixed (and released) instead of loosing every feature from the previous months.

> I don't think we can really do it without leaving some opportunity to for PMC and others to review from time to time.

We can have a timed job that creates a release-review request each month/half a year/ ...