[m2e-dev] Release Planning

As the recent discussions and rumor I'd like to propose some kind of 'rules' (maybe there are already some and I haven't found them?) to get this release stuff more smooth in the future (and even faster releases).

1) We should create an issue for every action (excluding documentation changes) and either: - assign the current milestone if we plan to work on this in the current release cycle
 - not assign a milestone if we will do it "sometimes"

2) If we ask for a release, also ask for ultimately marking issues to be included within a given time frame (I would suggest one week and thus name it "planning week" from now on) and

3) Then we should discuss in this "planning week" on the marked issues if they go into the release or should be postponed if there any concerns. If postponed, we should assign the next milestone or remove it if we do not want to get this in for the next release.

4) After this "planning week" we assign a release date (github allows to set a due-date on a release) that should be at most two weeks maybe we choose then to postpone some things because there is no time to actually develop this feature ...

5) From now on we only add bugs to the current release, if something is a bug might be discussed on the ticket.

6) All features should be finished one week before the release so we have a time where we only work on regressions (if any).

That way we always have a clear understanding what is "open" for the current release and if there is a risk we miss the date due to the current status of the milestone.

Given that, we should be able to release once a month if desired and I think that's acceptable as a lower bound.

Back to the top