Re: [linuxtools-dev] eclipse plug-in for Linux perf tool

I've finished the plugin, functionally at least. However I do need to clean
up the code and write tests.
Yes I can be a maintainer =) Once I clean up the code I'll upload it as a
bug, I'm also waiting on permission from IBM to post the code.
I will make a screencast to go with the code when I upload it.

One question though, how do you deal with the versioning of binaries for
oprofile and other profiling tools?
I've based my plugin on the latest version of perf, i'm not sure how it
will cope with older versions- are users just expected to have the latest
version of perf installed or should a binary be included within the plugin?

Thanks,
--thavidu

Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 31/05/2010 23:55:49:

> Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Thavidu Ranatunga/Australia/Contr/IBM@IBMAU

> Linux Tools developer discussions <linuxtools-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> 31/05/2010 23:58

> Re: [linuxtools-dev] eclipse plug-in for Linux perf tool
>
> Hi Thavidu,
>
> * Thavidu Ranatunga <thavidur@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2010-05-28 02:26]:
> > I'm getting very close to having a functional Perf plugin to release,
>
> Cool!
>
> > how do I go about adding it to the svn and such?
>
> That depends.  Do you plan on maintaining it in the future?  While it
> would be great to have, it's risky for us as a project to take
> contributions without having someone dedicated to maintaining them.
> That being said, a good first step is to open a bug with your code
> attached (a zip is fine) so that it can be reviewed.
>
> > I've made it a single plugin project (org.eclipse.linuxtools.perf), and
I'm
> > currently using the eclipse oprofile team sync thing- updates from the
SVN
> > come down to my workspace that perf is in but i'm not sure how to add
perf
> > to that so the perf plugin goes up too?
>
> I don't know what you mean here.
>
> > Its almost fully covers most of perf's functionality (with the
exception of
> > perf probes, which will be later), though theres plenty of TODOs and
FIXMEs
> > to clean up etc, but its working.
>
> Cool :)
>
> > Regarding the code re-use we talked about at the start, it turned out
that
> > most of what I needed already did lie in the linuxtools.profiling
plugins,

> That's great to hear!
>
> > there was only 1-3 functions I actually pulled out of the
oprofile-specific
> > plugin itself, so i'm not really sure where a common 'profiling' layer
> > would fit other than the one already there =)
>
> Can you file bugs to get these functions brought into the profiling
> framework?
>
> Thanks and nice work.  Can you create a screenshot or screencast for us
> to see?
>
> Andrew

Back to the top