Re: [linux-distros-dev] auto-provides and requires for OSGi packages

In OSGi parlance, the main differences between "require-bundle" and
"import-package" (require and import for short) are the granularity of your
dependency and the provenance.
With require-bundle you explicitly say that you need a given bundle (with
an id and a version range) and you get access to all of its content
(remember that requires and import are used at runtime to control the
visibility of classes). With import-package you say that you just a need a
given package and that you are happy whoever provides it.
I think what matters the most in that context is the provenance aspect.

This is for a simple overview, there are other refinements (mostly around
the use clause) that I won't go into here and that you can find in the OSGi
spec: http://osgi.org/osgi_technology/download_specs.asp?section=2#Release4

PaScaL

             Andrew Overholt
             <overholt@redhat.
                                       Pascal Rapicault/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
             03/28/2007 06:00                                           cc
             PM                        fedora-devel-java-list@xxxxxxxxxx,
                                       linux-distros-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [linux-distros-dev]
              Andrew Overholt          auto-provides and requires for OSGi
             <overholt@redhat.         packages
                   com>

Hi,

* Pascal Rapicault <Pascal_Rapicault@xxxxxxxxxx> [2007-03-27 22:24]:
> If you are ok with running java code to generate your RPM metadata

Unfortunately I doubt that this will be acceptable to the RPM people.
Thanks for the pointers anyway, though :)

> Also, as a point of interest for me, does RPM has the ability to express
> constraints similar to import and export?

I'm confused as to what import does that is different from requires.
Can you please elaborate or tell me what to read?

Export I guess you could compare with Provides in RPM parlance.  Anyone
else have thoughts on this?  For those that don't know -- and please
correct me if I'm wrong -- Export is used to limit what java package
names are visible to other bundles.

Thanks,

Andrew
(See attached file: att4gg9w.dat)