Re: [linux-distros-dev] auto-provides and requires for OSGi packages

If you are ok with running java code to generate your RPM metadata, then
you could take a look at the class PDEState in PDEBuild or the class with
the same name in the org.eclipse.equinox.prov.metadata.generator bundle
from the equinox provisioning work (note that the last one is about to be
replaced / changed). These helper classes will read the manifest.mf
(whether the bundle is jar'ed or not) and create a BundleDescription object
from it where every little detail about the dependencies are already
reified.

Also, as a point of interest for me, does RPM has the ability to express
constraints similar to import and export?

PaScaL

             Andrew
             Overholt
             <overholt@r                                                To
             edhat.com>          linux-distros-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
             Sent by:            fedora-devel-java-list@xxxxxxxxxx
             linux-distr                                                cc
             os-dev-boun
             ces@eclipse                                           Subject
             .org                [linux-distros-dev] auto-provides and
                                 requires for OSGi packages

             03/27/2007
             05:33 PM

Hi,

We'd like Eclipse packages (which we want to extend to all OSGi
packages and then to whatever module system Sun puts into Java 7 or 8)
to have RPM automatically generate Provides and Requires.  This is
similar to how it's done for DSOs or perl, python, or mono modules.

Example:

$ rpm -q --requires tomboy
[I've stripped the non-mono requirements]
mono(glib-sharp) = 2.10.0.0
mono(gnome-sharp) = 2.16.0.0
mono(gtk-sharp) = 2.10.0.0

$ rpm -q --provides gnome-sharp
mono(gnome-sharp) = 2.16.0.0

I imagine this will manifest itself in a shell script to run over jars
in a certain location and extract their META-INF/MANIFEST.MF and parse
out the OSGi provides and requires.  It would of course be better to do
this as an OSGi app but I wonder how the RPM guys would feel about
having an Eclipse or Java dependency.

I don't think we want to do something like java(modulename) yet, but
just having it automatically generate these lists would get us a long
way there.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kyu Lee is going to investigate this and will keep us posted as he
progresses.

Andrew
(See attached file: attqvcz6.dat)