[linux-distros-dev] LinuxWorld BOF Report

Well the BOF was not very well attended.  I had only 2 people attend and
there were more interested in knowing more about eclipse than the
Eclipse on Linux Project.  So I held a brief discussion with them and
evangelized Eclipse and they went on their way.  The discussion was good
but not on topic.

So where do we stand?  Based on the original proposal and some
additional input from Andrew we have 5 major areas of focus with
accompanying sub points that may improve the adoption of Eclipse on
Linux:

1) Installation and packaging from source

2) Updates
- - In an PM based install the paths installed to are usually owned by
root

3) Integration or tools that should be in eclipse for Linux
- - RPM building
- - deb package building
- - auto tools integration

4) Promotion
- - Eclipse could be better represented in the Linux community

5) Multi-User Installations
- - similar issues to updates

I'd like to put together an Open Office presentation surrounding these
issues and some possible solutions.  Are there others that should be
included initially or does this look like a pretty good list?

Regards

Cory

Back to the top