Re: [jetty-users] application authentication

In that case, I would consider using something like Shiro.
The servlet request calls won't work for you but you will be able to
use the SecurityUtils.getSubject call to get access to the shiro
subject and do all types of equivalent calls.

The EE specs are about an application programming model that is built
on top of a platform with a built-in security foundation. I don't
really agree with everything that was put into web.xml for security
but I do feel that the security subsystem should be considered as
outside of the scope of the application programming model.

What you are looking for is a way to leverage the security aspects of
the application programming model without using the foundational
security infrastructure of the container which is built in such a way
that you can trust the results of those calls.

Incidentally, JSR-196 (JASPIC) provides a cross platform means to
introduce authentication mechanisms for just such a use case. The
problem is that you will have to get the JASPIC authentication module
installed for the server environment. Once you do that it will be
invoked by the container instead of application code - therefore, by
trusted code - and will result in the container setting the
appropriate security context based on your authModule. This is
supported by all EE containers as of EE 6.

There, however, is no standard way to install this module by simply
bundling it with an application and deploying it.