Re: [jetty-dev] Re: SVN heads up /branches/jetty-7.0.0.x

Inline ...

Greg Wilkins wrote:
Jan Bartel wrote:

My vote for the final version number is 7.0.0.v20090921
Erk :( ! But I guess we don't have much choice as we used up M and
RC for the alpha sorting already. Do we really have to have the
date appended? Can't we have just 7.0.0.v1 ? The file names get
really long and very tedious to type, and I don't really see that
it adds any useful information over and above a simple counter.
But, if that is eclipse standard practise (?) then we should follow suit.

I don't like v1, because mentally people will read that
as "version 1".   It is not version 1, it is version 7.0.0

You really think so? I reckon most people are comfortable with
the importance of the leading digits. In fact I think most jetty users
will be slightly surprised there's a "v*" on the end of the version
number they've been accustomed to, and may possibly ignore it.

With 7.0.0.v20090921, hopefully people will look at that
and mentally think "the version on the 21st September 2009 was 7.0.0"

I think most people are going to look at that and go "what's the bit
on the end - is that a final release of Jetty 7 or not?!"

:)

Jan

cheers

--