Re: [jetty-dev] Re: jetty7 distribution

Personally I am not keen on a jetty-distribution from eclipse that
contains artifacts or dependencies, whatever anyone wants to call
them, that are not publicly available from a durable maven repository.
 I can handle it for osgi consumers that would consume jetty from a p2
update site type location as those artifacts/dependencies have been
run through the eclipse bundling process such they can be consumed
into that environment.  That is a completely different type of
distribution so I am all good with that.

I will note that we can perhaps use the dependency maven plugin to
grab the artifact out of Orbit through a hard coded URL but I am also
not really keen on that approach either.

As for the jetty distribution idea...+1

http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/hightide/trunk produces a jetty7 hightide distro

* henceforth all rpm, deb, tar.gz distro's for jetty7 would come from
here, jetty6 we keep it the way it is and cleanup the hightide build
bits

I would also like to suggest that we move anything jetty7 producing
into jetty/hightide/trunk and move the jetty6 branch back onto
jetty/trunk so its clear that is where jetty6 lives and we remain in
maintenance mode...that way it is clear that jetty7 is from eclipse
except for hightide bits and jetty6 is from codehaus svn...At the same
time we retire hightide-jetty6 since we haven't updated that recently
either..unless we have someone that needs it then it is a branch of
the above hightide location.

Basically I want to get us down to as few active svn trunks and
branches as possible.  So moving the jetty7 bits @ codehaus under
hightide would make it clear that jetty7 is at eclipse, and anything
else is part of hightide....now I am wondering about the
org/mortbay/hightide artifacts...does hightide continue to go under
there for jetty7 or does it go under org/mortbay/jetty/jetty-hightide
now?

Alternately we create a hightide project at codehaus and put the two
distro's there, which would make sense since we are producing
org/mortbay/hightide artifacts anyway...

Thirdly we could look at the eclipse distribution approach but have a
little webapp that deploys that lets you configure jetty, downloading
the required bits and pieces from maven repos..kinda a long shot :P

So my summary is:

nay on the anemic eclipse jetty distro
yah on standardizing behind a hightide distro (though discussion is
needed on the format and location imo)

Greg, some time ago you mentioned having a weekly or fortnightly
either phone or irc meeting...perhaps we could set something like that
up to discuss this?

cheers,
Jesse

--