Re: [imp-dev] Proposed reorg of IMP SVN repository structure

I've had to check everything out a couple of times lately, and it would have helped to have had the proposed organization in place.  I don't mind doing it again, especially since it will be easier.  So this seems like a good idea to me.

Thanks!

Stan

Stan Sutton, Ph. D.
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
19 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY 10532 USA
telephone:  1-914-784-7316, FAX:  1-914-784-7455, T/L 863
e-mail:  suttons@xxxxxxxxxx, Stan Sutton/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

"Robert M. Fuhrer" <rfuhrer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: imp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/09/2009 05:15 PM

Please respond to
IMP Developers List <imp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

IMP Developers List <imp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Emmanuel Geay/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Beth Tibbitts/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Cal Swart/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
[imp-dev] Proposed reorg of IMP SVN repository structure

Hi Folks,

I'd like to reorganize the SVN repository structure. Right now, it
looks like this:

  org.eclipse.imp
      proj1
          branches
          tags
          trunk
      proj2
          branches
          tags
          trunk
      projN
          branches
          tags
          trunk

It seems more conventional (and easier to deal with) for it to look
instead like this:

  org.eclipse.imp
      branches
          proj1
          proj2
          projN
      tags
          proj1
          proj2
          projN
      trunk
          proj1
          proj2
          projN

This way, for the most common case (checking out trunk or a set of
projects with a given tag/branch), one has a better chance of being
able to select a contiguous set of projects, rather than having to
expand each one in order to find the appropriate trunk/tag/branch.

Obviously this will cause short-term pain as we all rebuild our
workspaces, but I think in the long run it will cause less confusion
to newcomers and less manual work for veterans.

Comments?

--
Cheers,
  - Bob