Re: [ide-dev] Yet another article advising to leave Eclispe

On 2014-10-15 21:05, Matthias Sohn wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Michael Scharf <eclipse@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:eclipse@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    - I just drop all my files in a single project tree. In eclipse,
       you cannot do this, because git wants one project per git repository.
       (and lots of other reasons)

why do you think git wants one project per git repository ?
> There are many examples of versioning many projects in a single git repository
> and I know they are using EGit:

You are right! I was wrong! What I wanted to say is:
   EGit wants at most one git repository per project and
   the project must be within the git root.

I have a tree of directories and some of them contain git
repositories. I create a project for the root of the tree.

In intellij, I have one project and when I commit, I enter one
commit message and it makes commit to the 5 git repositories that
have modified files. I really love this, because when the commit
message refers to a github issue, all commits are linked to
that issue. In EGit, I'd have to make 5 commits and copy
the message over. In intellij, when I say push, it shows
all repositories that have changes to push and pushes them
all at once (unless I uncheck some of the repositories before
the push). In egit, if I have 20 git repertoires, I have to
go to each one and

In fact (at least until recently) EGit also had problems, if
only part of the git tree is a project. It really got confused
if there have been changes in files that are not part of a
project.

But even multiple projects form one git repository are painful,
when there are files in the root of the git tree. E.g. in which
project do the files appear that are in the top level directory
of orion.server, one of the examples you have given:

> http://git.eclipse.org/c/orion/org.eclipse.orion.server.git/tree/

I usually create one additional project for the root that excludes
all directories that contain sub projects.

My point is, eclipse is very opinionated on how to organize your
workspace. I think this is great in the java world. I am sure
that the concept of plug-ins and having a set of java projects
next to each other has been very good for the Java community,
because it forced us to think about dependencies and modularity.

Unfortunately, many many projects out there do not follow the
java/eclipse rules of organizing the workspace. And this is where
eclipse falls flat. If you start new projects with eclipse, it
guides your in a certain direction and that is great. If you
take a "random" real world project chances are high, that it
will be hard to fit into the eclipse workspace concept....

BTW: I really really love EGit -- I have eclipse running all the
time in parallel to InjelliJ to manage git. But to do this,
I have created a project per git repository, which is not how I see
the sources. Interactive rebase is absolute world-class! And looking
at changes is fantastic.

Michael

Back to the top