Re: [ide-dev] Yet another article advising to leave Eclispe

Hi All,

I am a big fan of eclipse. I have never used NetBeans, but I am currently using PyCharms
(the python IDE of the intellij).

Half a year ago, I blogged a bit about my experience:

  "Evolution: form Emacs to Eclipse to IntelliJ and back to Emacs?"
    http://michaelscharf.blogspot.de/2014/03/evolution-form-emacs-to-eclipse-to.html

For mixed language projects the JetBrains (IntelliJ) solutions simply work
with much less friction than eclipse.
- not endless fight to install and hunt plug-ins: if it detects unknown
  files, it asks you to instal the plug-in...
- Till now, I never had to kill the process because it hung (happens
  pretty often with eclipse)
- I just drop all my files in a single project tree. In eclipse,
  you cannot do this, because git wants one project per git repository.
  (and lots of other reasons)
- way better support for web development than eclipse (well, I have to be
  precise: better support than the plug-ins that I somehow assembled myself,
  to get something that allows me to do web development)
- unknown file types are never opened with the 'system editor'

For me, the JetBrains solution just works. I have spent many man-months in the
last 15 years on eclipse installation issues. With Jetbrains, I had no
installation issues so far.

For me, JetBrains works and eclipse requires a lot of maintenance to be useful.
If you have to deal with lots of languages that are not Java, the effort to
get a comfortable environment with eclipse is tremendous.

> Does anyone know what the 'random NullPointerException/IllegalArgumentException exception alerts. "
> is all about? Is this an issues specific to STS or something
> people are seeing with base EPP packages?

I have had this with Luna JEE, because some javascript in my workspace caused some strange
parser crashes (in the automatic build) and then I got this totally annoying modal error
dialogs (which should be banned form eclipse in my opinion). This problem is fixed with SR1.

To not only be negative, I also wrote down my thoughts how eclipse could improve
the situation for those who are working on multi-language projects.

  "How to make eclipse attractive to new communities?"
     http://michaelscharf.blogspot.de/2014/05/how-to-make-eclipse-attractive-to-new.html

I can't say, how sad I feel that I am not using eclipse. But my focus is to get things
done for the start-up project I am currently working on. It is not Java and I need
a solution that works. I would actually pay 10x more for an eclipse solution than
what I currently pay for the JetBrains solution...

Maybe I miss something and there is an eclipse based solution that works the way I need it.

The really funny thing is, to edit files directly on servers I am using emacs again, the
same way I used it 30 years ago: working remotely using a terminal emulation....

Michael