Re: [ide-dev] Yet another article advising to leave Eclispe

On 15/10/2014 3:20 PM, Marcel Bruch wrote:
That speaks to a need we identified many years ago but never caught any
>energy, the need to have a central interop testing facility that would
>hopefully help identify things like this.
What exactly is this „central interop testing facility“?

In the distant past there were conversations about whether there should be a certification program for Eclipse plug-ins. After much discussion it was decided that we should not, and that we would rely upon the ecosystem to sort out which plug-ins were high-quality and which were not.

The downside to that decision is, of course, that our users cannot differentiate between bugs caused by Eclipse and bugs caused by poor plug-ins. Or even if they can tell, they do not care. As a result, any popular but buggy plug-in can damage the quality reputation of Eclipse itself.

There is no simple solution to the problem.

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top