Re: [henshin-dev] Migrating to git

Hi Felix,

Am 11/9/2012 5:30 PM, schrieb Riegerf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

There are several reasons for migrating to git, amongst them some rather good ones. Eclipse is migrating to git at large, so it's sensible to also migrate (we will have to migrate eventually, so we could as well do it now). However, this is very much a non-argument; oen of the real advantages of git is the extremely good branching and merging mechanism. Git makes branches, merging and reintegrating extremely easy, so I see advantages in migrating to git if we should be planning to do lots of branches and integrate them into the trunk. I think our overall development process can benefit from a a version control system that focuses heavily on creating, synchronizing and merging branches, such as git.

Thanks for sheding some light on the possible advantages of Git. Let me ask you and everybody else in what respect SVN is currently not good enough for us. In other words, do we really need Git, or is for us SVN good enough. In the end, we do not aiming at a development style as they pursue e.g. in the Linux kernel development.

Cheers,
Christian

Felix