Re: [henshin-dev] Migrating to git

Hi Christian,

Quoting Christian Krause <henshin.ck@xxxxxxxxx>:
one month ago I wrote an e-mail with the subject "Release planned for beginning of November". I don't see how anyone could miss that.

A week ago, you talked about needing roughly two weeks. I think it's great to release now, I was just proposing to do some maintenance tasks now, as the release seems to have been possible earlier than anticipated.

Regarding Git: I do not really have the time to learn Git, to migrate our repository, and to adapt our build scripts to Git. Besides, I don't see why we would need Git.

There are several reasons for migrating to git, amongst them some rather good ones. Eclipse is migrating to git at large, so it's sensible to also migrate (we will have to migrate eventually, so we could as well do it now). However, this is very much a non-argument; oen of the real advantages of git is the extremely good branching and merging mechanism. Git makes branches, merging and reintegrating extremely easy, so I see advantages in migrating to git if we should be planning to do lots of branches and integrate them into the trunk. I think our overall development process can benefit from a a version control system that focuses heavily on creating, synchronizing and merging branches, such as git.

Felix

Back to the top