Re: AW: AW: AW: [geclipse-dev] InfoView

Quoting "Stuempert, Mathias IWR" <mathias.stuempert@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> > For the FTS we have to have a look.
> > But in principle we should be able to
> > transfer files from one storage element
> > to another. Or make a replica from a file
> > on a different storage element.
>
> Isn't this a usecase that is covered by the Grid connections/Grid exploring
> perspective and copy/paste aka drag'n'drop? We have the storage elements that
> may be mounted.

I'm not sure about this. Using storage elements directly in a Grid is analogous
to using cylinder-head-sector for disk access. The replica/location service
would be analogous to a Filesystem. (Yes, these are weak analogies but I think
you get the point) How does a group/VO of 20 users keep track of the output data
of 200,000 jobs spread across 50 storage elements? In these cases mounting a
storage element may be of little use.

Also, regarding file transfers, think of the following: "How do I move my
1000x100GB files from my telescope to different places on the grid?" I think
copy-paste (if I understand what you mean) does not cut it, you need a service
to take care of this.

Mounting a Storage Element is useful, but what is really needed is an interface
to Data-management middleware.

At this point I'd like to put up for discussion something that I have been
contemplating regarding data management for some time (I'm sure many of you may
have already though about/discussed this). We could use JSDL to describe these
transfers. Note that these would not be executed as normal jobs. The JSDL would
describe the data-transfer and then we would translate the JSDL to instructions
to a replica /file-transfer service. This would also fit nicely with work-flows
(Ashish?)

 Currently I do not see the need for any other service than
> job submission and info.

I agree, baby-steps is the way to go, but lets keep the bigger picture in mind.

I'll stop yapping now,
George

Back to the top