[epp-dev] Still justified to ship Mylyn with almost all distributions?

Hi all,

not sure how requests to remove plugins from eclipse distributions are
to be formulated nor how the process is to initiate such a removal. But
what I observed is this: Mylyn seems to be more or less dead.

If I look at the commit log there where 15 comits in the last 6 month.

http://git.eclipse.org/c/mylyn/org.eclipse.mylyn.git/log/

Mostly they were concerned with update of plugin versions and adaption
to photon release. End of 2017 there where four month in succession
without any commit at all. Hence from a community perspective there seem
to be little interest to fix issues, let alone implement new features.

One of the first things I do myself when starting a fresh eclipse is
closing the Mylyn Task View. Probably there are users that actually use
Mylyn. But my question is: Is it still justified to ship this plugin
with almost all eclipse distributions?

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/compare.php?release=photon

For me it would be better to remove it from eclipse main distributions
and allow additional installation through an update site. I guess the
majority will be more happy with smaller footprint, while users that
actually need Mylyn can still install it. Happy for your feedback about
this request.

Kind regards,
Arne Deutsch

Back to the top