Re: [epp-dev] Still justified to ship Mylyn with almost all distributions?

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 3:35 PM, Deutsch, Arne <Arne.Deutsch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But
what I observed is this: Mylyn seems to be more or less dead.
If I look at the commit log there where 15 comits in the last 6 month.
http://git.eclipse.org/c/mylyn/org.eclipse.mylyn.git/log/
Mostly they were concerned with update of plugin versions and adaption
to photon release. End of 2017 there where four month in succession
without any commit at all. Hence from a community perspective there seem
to be little interest to fix issues, let alone implement new features.

I don't think such indicators of liveliness of the project are really to be considered for EPP as main criterion. Mylyn is a mature project and most likely doesn't require a tremendous activity to reach its goals.

What matters more for EPP in my opinion is how valuable/expensive it is to ship Mylyn to end-users?
What do we save by not shipping it? Download size? UX? Performance?
What share of users are annoyed if we remove it?
How annoyed would be these users?

I know some people who love Mylyn and do use it daily, saving them a lot of work navigating between a diversity of trackers; and some people who hate it; and some who have it installed and do not care (neither positively nor negatively). How to decide which group(s) should have priority there?
--
Mickael Istria