Re: [epp-dev] Still justified to ship Mylyn with almost all distributions?

Currently mylyn is only thing that keeps me away from other projects. Especially “Task Focused Interface”.

Mylyn have more than one project repository, see http://git.eclipse.org/c/mylyn/ Check them, you will see a motion ;)

From: Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Reply: Eclipse Packaging Project <epp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 4 July 2018 at 15:44:33
To: Eclipse Packaging Project <epp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Re: [epp-dev] Still justified to ship Mylyn with almost all distributions?

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 3:35 PM, Deutsch, Arne <Arne.Deutsch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But
what I observed is this: Mylyn seems to be more or less dead.
If I look at the commit log there where 15 comits in the last 6 month.
http://git.eclipse.org/c/mylyn/org.eclipse.mylyn.git/log/
Mostly they were concerned with update of plugin versions and adaption
to photon release. End of 2017 there where four month in succession
without any commit at all. Hence from a community perspective there seem
to be little interest to fix issues, let alone implement new features.

I don't think such indicators of liveliness of the project are really to be considered for EPP as main criterion. Mylyn is a mature project and most likely doesn't require a tremendous activity to reach its goals.

What matters more for EPP in my opinion is how valuable/expensive it is to ship Mylyn to end-users?
What do we save by not shipping it? Download size? UX? Performance?
What share of users are annoyed if we remove it?
How annoyed would be these users?

I know some people who love Mylyn and do use it daily, saving them a lot of work navigating between a diversity of trackers; and some people who hate it; and some who have it installed and do not care (neither positively nor negatively). How to decide which group(s) should have priority there?
--
Mickael Istria