Re: [epp-dev] Java package

Hi all,

On 05.05.2014 19:30, Doug Schaefer wrote:
> Probably the right answer is to have an installer that guides the user through these choices and get rid of the packages all together. Given that this discussion is going nowhere, we have a whole year to forget about it, or fix it. But to pretend it's not a problem is very disappointing.

I love the idea of an installer or setup wizard to guide the user through the initial setup. It would also be of great benefit to the IDE landing page (http://eclipse.org/ide/), enabling it to offer a single download and still address (most of) the user's individual needs.

It would be great to hear from the others here what your requirements would be for a good Eclipse download and first-start experience.

On 05.05.2014 20:03, Doug Schaefer wrote:
> The focus has to be on the newbie and providing a good out of box experience. Once set up, as the user gets more experience with Eclipse, doing a check for updates and using MPC to get new stuff will be their way forward.

I completely agree. I think asking some basic questions like the language(s) to be used, development domain (Java, JavaEE, Plug-Ins, Web, Embedded) and basic support technologies (SCM kind, Maven, Issue Tracker) should make it possible to configure a very good (almost) out-of-the-box experience. And for the more individial types, we can always delegate to the Marketplace Client afterwards.

Back to the top