From: epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Markus Knauer [mknauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 2:10 AM
To: Eclipse Packaging Project
Subject: Re: [epp-dev] Java package

Historically, the creation of the Java package was one of the main reasons to start with EPP. At that point in time we've heard the criticism from the community, that the SDK was "too large" and "contains too much that is not required for Java development". That was what we addressed with the Java package: A small package that is dedicated to the Java-only programmers or the programmers that want to start with a small package and add incrementally other tools to it.

And then we created a package and called it "standard"... this and the fact that it is always on the top of the list on the download page is in my opinion the main reason, why people are downloading it. No wonder... and my guess is that the majority is downloading something that is not ideal for them. From a marketing standpoint the package name 'standard' was a really clever move, but in my opinion (now) it is not ideal from a users point of view.

Yes, people are confused, but having the Java package makes still sense to me. Instead of dropping (or merging) the two packages, I would prefer to enhance the description of the standard package or find other ways to help people to differentiate between the two packages.

Thanks,
Markus