[epf-dev] Executing OpenUP in IDE

I am embarrassed to be asking this question, but after a reasonable amount of digging I am not sure of the answer.

I believe I have made a large mistake in understanding the OpenUP method library. I am currently involved in selecting and evaluating an enterprise methodology. OpenUP looks attractive not least because of the software support. I came to this site and saw the two OpenUP products: a web site and a method library. I had formed the impression that the purpose of the method library was for members of a project to execute OpenUP in an IDE and that as they selected various steps it would tell them what artifacts to create, track where they were, remember role assignments, etc.

I am now pretty sure I was wrong. After a lot of head scratching I now believe the purpose of the method library is to be able to make changes to the OpenUP process so that one can export a revised web site. Is that right?

That function is useful to me, but nowhere near as useful as what I had imagined it was: an Eclipse plugin to guide team members through the stages of a project and track the products specifically required by OpenUP (vision document, etc). If such a tool existed it would immeasurably assist the adoption of OpenUP within our enterprise. Does it exist anywhere?

And while I'm here can someone please explain to me the difference between Eclipse and EPF? Sorry to ask such a dumb question but after prowling around the web site for a few hours I'm still not sure. Or point me to a better place to ask this kind of question. Thanks.

Back to the top