RE: [epf-dev] Executing OpenUP in IDE

Hi Peter,

You’re correct that the purpose of the method library is to allow people to make changes to the OpenUP process. Specifically, the method library is the “source code” for OpenUP. The tool to make these changes is the EPF Composer, which you can download from the EPF website (www.eclipse.com/epf). EPF Composer can publish the method library to create a website of software process information.

The tool you desire, which sounds like kind of a process mentor, doesn’t exist in EPF. But it’s a great idea and there’s no reason it can’t be considered. You can enter a Bugzilla change request against EPF (report it against the Tool) if you’d like to participate in making such a tool come true.

Regarding the differences between Eclipse and EPF, there are two answers:

  1. Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) is an open source community for creating development tools. There are many different projects within the Eclipse organization, the most prominent being the one that builds the Eclipse tool. The Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) is one of the projects within Eclipse. Our job is to provide an extensible set of tools for authoring software development processes, and to actually author processes across a range of domains.
  2. Eclipse is an open source tool that is an IDE, but also serves as an extensible platform for building other types of applications. The EPF Composer is an open source process authoring tool built on top of Eclipse. It’s used by the EPF project to author processes such as OpenUP. It’s also used by organizations and companies to extend EPF processes and even build their own processes from scratch.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

- Jim

Jim Ruehlin, IBM Rational

RUP Content Developer

Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) Committer

email:   jruehlin@xxxxxxxxxx

phone:  760.505.3232

fax:      949.369.0720