Re: [epf-dev] Executing OpenUP in IDE

Hello Peter.
We are running a newsgroups for these type of questions for EPF users (as others also might be interested in the answers) as this email list is for EPF developers only.

You are right: the library is basically the source code for generating n-numbers of different published websites.  See these articles for an overview of what EPF is all about:

Brief Introductions:
http://www.eclipsereview.com/issues/eclipsereview_200606.pdf
http://www.eclipsereview.com/issues/eclipsereview_200609.pdf

More detailed overview:
http://www.eclipse.org/epf/general/EPFComposerOverviewPart1.pdf
http://www.eclipse.org/epf/general/EPFComposerOverviewPart2.pdf

For enacting the processes IBM sells a commercial product called Rational Portfolio Manager which does what you describe to some extend.  There can directly import process developed with EPF Composer.

Finally, Eclipse is an open source organization of which EPF is just one project.  Go to www.eclipse.org to find out more about the organization as well as other projects.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
Rational Method Composer | Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software | IBM Software Group
Tel.: +1 408 863-8716

Peter Scott <Peter@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/15/2006 10:07

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[epf-dev] Executing OpenUP in IDE

I am embarrassed to be asking this question, but after a reasonable
amount of digging I am not sure of the answer.

I believe I have made a large mistake in understanding the OpenUP
method library.  I am currently involved in selecting and evaluating an
enterprise methodology.  OpenUP looks attractive not least because of
the software support.  I came to this site and saw the two OpenUP
products: a web site and a method library.  I had formed the impression
that the purpose of the method library was for members of a project to
execute OpenUP in an IDE and that as they selected various steps it
would tell them what artifacts to create, track where they were,
remember role assignments, etc.

I am now pretty sure I was wrong.  After a lot of head scratching I now
believe the purpose of the method library is to be able to make changes
to the OpenUP process so that one can export a revised web site.  Is
that right?

That function is useful to me, but nowhere near as useful as what I had
imagined it was: an Eclipse plugin to guide team members through the
stages of a project and track the products specifically required by
OpenUP (vision document, etc).  If such a tool existed it would
immeasurably assist the adoption of OpenUP within our enterprise.  Does
it exist anywhere?

And while I'm here can someone please explain to me the difference
between Eclipse and EPF?  Sorry to ask such a dumb question but after
prowling around the web site for a few hours I'm still not sure.  Or
point me to a better place to ask this kind of question.  Thanks.