Re: [epf-dev] Architect as supporting role to design_solution

Hi Scott
I agree that architecture can emerge over time - it's a practice I try to follow myself.
But surely the Task design-solution (as defined in BUP) would always be performed with reference to some notional view of architecture? Whether this is a fully documented big-A  Architecture, an existing system, a prototype or an organising metaphor the principal is the same.
From this perspective, just saying "we choose to design this solution using object techniques" is an architectural decision. Regards
Mark
Mark Dickson
Principal Architect
0780 1917480

----- Original Message -----
From: epf-dev-bounces
Sent: 04/08/2006 12:02 PM
To: Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [epf-dev] Architect as supporting role to design_solution

At 06:59 AM 4/8/2006, you wrote:

I agree that architecture is an input workproduct.
I don' think that we should be recommending that design is done without reference to the architecture - surely that's bad practice?

In the agile world, the architecture often emerges over time. Architecture is definitely considered optional.

At http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/amdd.htm I've written about how some agilists will do architectural modeling early in a project, but on the other hand some choose not to.

So, arguably, there might not even be an architecture model/document to ignore on some teams. ;-)

- Scott

Whilst this email has been checked for all known viruses, recipients should undertake their own virus checking as Xansa will not accept any liability whatsoever.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and protected by client privilege.  It is solely for the use of the intended recipient.
Please delete it and notify the sender if you have received it in
error. Unauthorised use is prohibited.

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily the organisation.
    Xansa, Registered Office: 420 Thames Valley Park Drive,
    Thames Valley Park, Reading, RG6 1PU, UK.
    Registered in England No.1000954.
    t  +44 (0)8702 416181
    w  www.xansa.com

Back to the top