Re: [egit-dev] checking 1.0.0.201106011211-rc3

A remark on the Commit Message Component: The component provides reuse for the behavior of commit message, author, committer and the toggles. The UI layout is NOT reused and can thus be different in commit dialog and staging view. It's even possible to have checkboxes in one scenario and toolbar items in the other.
--Jens

-----Original Message-----
From: egit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:egit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robin Rosenberg
Sent: Dienstag, 7. Juni 2011 23:15
To: Bernard Leach
Cc: EGit developer discussion
Subject: Re: [egit-dev] checking 1.0.0.201106011211-rc3

Bernard Leach skrev 2011-06-07 08.31:
> The commit component is also now re-used within the staging view where
> space is really at a premium.  I'm definitely no UX expert however so
> perhaps there's a better solution but I do think consistency across
> those two elements is a good thing.

I'm not happy with the view either, but it's new and so is a first step
to making
something good.

Usability is much more important than the vague concept of
"consistency". Dialogs and views
are used in very different ways and to make them really good
we should design them separately. Good view have a lot of functionality
that makes no
sense in modal dialog, while dialogs sometimes need things to compensate
for the fact that
they are dialogs with limited interaction.

Good UI's aren't necessarily "consistent", they are intuitive, safe and
easy to use, so keep the
staging view and commit dialog separate designs and only reuse if it
really makes sense.

-- robin