Re: [egit-dev] list culling CC addresses

Am 08.03.2010 20:18, schrieb Johannes Schindelin:
> It is definitely not the first thing I find amusingly "different" in
> the Eclipse project!

Are you talking about the 'Reply-To' header? A lot of SourceForge
mailing lists used to work this way too. It's a configuration option in
Mailman that you can set. There are many pros and cons of this option. I
guess the discussion started last century when the first mailing lists
were born and is still ongoing.

> My guess is that nobody in the Eclipse community gets more than 30 mails a
> day. At least, it is hard to believe that they would continue this Cc:
> culling practice if they approached the number of emails I have to cope
> with every day.

LOL, dude, you never had to deal with colleagues which just love the
'reply-all' button or put you on 'cc'/'to' all the time just because,
don't you? There are so many different ways to keep your inbox in good
shape. Relying on "send directly to me" is probably the most unreliable
one. Anyway, it might work for you but never worked reliable for me.
Today, I'm actually quite happy with a mail client that allows to
organize mailing lists into a news-group like structure including a
threaded display. I also use GMANE a lot to following only the stuff I
care about in different mailing lists.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that there will never be an option
which satisfies everybody. But - at least - we have the tools today to
adopt our preferences.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht