Re: [egit-dev] projectimport page

Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/2/3 Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > IMHO, whether or not we require the SOB line should just be a group
> > decision of the current committers.  Eclipse IP team doesn't need it;
> > they get their requirements met through Gerrit or Bugzilla's account
> > registration process.  So SOB lines are just noise to them.
>
> You are right, we didn't explicitly decide on this, looks like I just copied
> your habit of hitting -s when making commits :) What I like about this habit
> is that this way the repo itself has an audit trail who agreed to contribute
> what without the need to rely on another system like Gerrit or registration
> procedures which are less explicit.

Yup.

There is an open issue [1] in Gerrit Code Review to export the
review metadata as a git note.  As soon as JGit supports notes,
I'll finish that issue and we will have the approval data from
Gerrit available via `git log` in the repository.

But until then, yes, SOB lines help to provide an information
trail of what happened.  I also tend to use footers to at least
make sure other parties are mentioned and properly attributed,
e.g. that 3 patch DirCache FileMode stuff... the problems were
reported by someone else.  I didn't do the hard work to find the
bugs, Adam Hawks did.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=64

--
Shawn.